In today’s professional
world of mediated communication, there is an increasing need to provide
computer etiquette to employees.
According to Kreps (2011), training programs incorporate appropriate use
of images and language, decision making about whom to copy messages to,
appropriate use of email and acceptable topics for electronic
communication. McKay (2013) addresses
the professional way to write emails.
Her seven tips may seem to offend people who have common sense, but they
are valuable for the professional worker.
Tip No. 1 reminds
the sender to address people by “Mr.,” “Mrs.”, “Ms.” or “Dr.” Only address someone by his or her first name
if the receiver implies it is proper to do so.
(McKay, 2013). In my business, I
address all the soldiers by their rank and last name. An example would be “SFC Szabo” or “MAJ
Castro.” I have many professional
friends I address by first name because I have that type of relationship. However, if I am sending a professional
invitation from the Battalion Commander, I will address them by “Mr.”, “Ms.,”
or “Dr.”
Tip No. 2
addresses the “tone” of the email. The
sender does not want to come across curt or demanding. Instead, the sender should be respectful,
approachable and friendly. (McKay, 2013).
In my workplace, the tone of an email is different when emailing a
co-worker versus a professional contact.
Oftentimes, I will reply to an email and will come across curt because
the person is doing something incorrect and knows better. Nevertheless, I always sign my emails
“Respectfully” or “v/r” because I believe it is the right thing to do.
Tip No. 3
addresses conciseness. The sender should
get to the point without leaving out critical details. (McKay, 2013). My workplace has a woman who forwards emails
to the civilians (if it deals with civilians) or credit card holders (if it
deals with cardholders). She never
summarizes what the message is about and who should read it. Consequently, those who need to read it do not
read the emails. My fellow employees and
I have asked her to summarize the message and make it clear whom it pertains to
but she continues to just forward to the entire staff and expects each person
to figure out if it pertains to him or her.
This tip would be very useful for her.
Tip No. 4 reminds
the sender to be professional. (McKay, 2013).
In today’s texting, the smiley face has become an icon. Some phones offer a variety of smiley faces
from winking to full mouth of teeth to smiley face with sunglasses. Smiley faces are great for family and friends
in a phone text, but left out of professional emails. They make the email unprofessional. The sender
should stay away from abbreviations or letters in lieu of words such as “u” for
“you” or “4” for “for.”
Tip No. 5 addresses
spelling and proper grammar. (McKay, 2013).
Most software programs such as Outlook,
Microsoft Word, and PowerPoint have built in spell checkers
or grammar checks. The sender can select
options such as passive voice checks and other helps. McKay (2013) suggests that the sender can
write in a conversational tone (contractions are okay), but they need to follow
basic grammar rules. Personally, it
drives me crazy when someone sends me an email or word document that is full of
grammar errors. I am not perfect, but I
take full advantage of the built in grammar and spelling features in Microsoft
products.
Tip No. 6 discusses
sending an attachment. McKay (2013)
suggests that you ask for permission before sending an attachment. I understand the point she is making which is
many people will not open attachments unless they know the sender. I send many attachments without asking
permission from the receiver because I am sending from a secure site and know
the people I am emailing. Periodically,
I will get an email from someone who tells me his or her system did not allow him
or her to open the attachment. He or she
asks me to put the information in the body of the email and resend. I have to say I understand this concept but
do not agree with it across the board.
If I know the person or people I am sending attachments, I will continue
to send attachments without asking permission.
Tip No. 7 is my
favorite tip. McKay (2013) reminds the
sender not to fill in the “TO” email address until the email is finalized and
actually ready to send. This option is a
safeguard for anyone who sends emails.
Too many times, a sender will quickly compose an email and hit send,
without reading over what was written and running spell check. This is a danger for text writers, because
you do not have a safeguard. In my
workplace, I follow this tip for the majority of my emails that are going to
someone in the workplace or a professional friend or acquaintance outside of
work. If everyone followed this tip for
every professional email, the other tips would fall into place without
forethought.
In conclusion,
Kreps (2011) reminds us that computer systems designed to provide sophisticated
technical tools to organizational participants would help him or her quickly
access information, enable electronic communication, and accomplish
organizational tasks. With this
technology, there is a source of problems as well. Some workers spend a great deal of time
engaging in non-work-related activities and some workers communicate
inappropriately with others. The smart
corporations, however, engage in training the workers in appropriate use of
computers and the professional way to communicate via electronic mail.
References
Kreps,
G.L. (2011). Communication in
Organizations. San Diego: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.
McKay,
D.R. (2013). Tips for writing
professional email. Published in About.com
Guide. Retrieved from http://careerplanning.about.com/od/communication/a/email_tips.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment